Book of the Week: June 27th 2016



I hated The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.  It was brutal.  It was pretentious.  This came off of a reading list of Books to Read When You're Going Through Heartbreak.  Yeah, maybe because you'll hate this book so much you'll temporarily forget your heart got crushed.  Miserable.  I think this book put me into a depression because I knew there was no way out but through.

So, because I try to get two books at a time at the library, I thought I was still going to listen to this awful list mentioned above and picked up The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment by Eckhart Tolle.  Why do I keep doing this to myself?  I'm only 35 pages in and I'm annoyed at this self-assured man who smugly suggests he found enlightenment "by accident" without any real work.  I have trouble reading Self-Help books which is one of the reasons I'm forcing myself to read one. I guess I'm a tad judgmental (but working on it!)

The only positive adventure from that day's trip to the library was that I stopped in early last Saturday and the One Room Schoolhouse on display next to the library was open.  A lovely older man was more than happy to show me around and his enthusiasm was infectious.  I want to be that passionate about something one day.  #Goals.

Next week I'm going to go in search of The Goldfinch suggested by Elishia at An English Girl In New York.

Happy reading!

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're giving The Goldfinch a go, however, the pressure is totally on now, I hope you like it!!!

    www.englishgirlinnewyork.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. + I'm a total book lover so, give me some recs too and I'll let you know when I find a good'n x

      Delete
  2. Did you manage to finish this one? Let me know how you found it!

    Kelsey | www.herdailyglow.com

    x

    ReplyDelete

Follow @ Instagram

Back to Top